Protecting your feline family member from the health risks and discomfort associated with fleas is vital to your cat's overall health and well-being. Fleas can cause serious irritation to your pet and lead to concerning health problems if left untreated. Flea treatments come in several forms and methods of application. The goal of all flea treatments is to kill fleas that may be hiding beneath your pet's fur throughout their many stages.
When you are dealing with a flea infestation, it is important to keep in mind that fleas can infiltrate areas of your home in addition to affecting your cat. Finding an effective and safe solution for your cat's flea problems can take some trial and error depending on the level of infestation present and the combination of methods used to control and eliminate the fleas. Below we have listed some of the best flea treatment options currently on the market to help keep your cat comfortable and home flea free.
What We'll Cover
- FRONTLINE Plus Flea and Tick Treatment for Cats
- Advantage II Once a Month Cat Topical Flea Treatment
- Wondercide Cedarwood Flea & Tick Spray for Pets
- Seresto Flea & Tick Collar for Cats
- Advantage Flea Treatment Spray for Cats
- Capstar Flea Tablets for Cats
- Adams Plus Flea & Tick Spray for Cats & Dogs
- NaturVet Herbal Flea Powder for Pets
- Cheristin Flea Treatment for Cats
- Vet's Best Flea & Tick Wipes for Cats & Dogs
- What Type of Cat Flea Treatment Works Best?
- Are Cat Flea Treatments Safe to Use on Your Cat?
- The Most Effective Cat Flea Treatment Strategy
- What to Look For in Cat Flea Treatment Options?
FRONTLINE Plus Flea and Tick Treatment for Cats
Help protect your kitty from pests with Frontline Plus Flea & Tick Spot Treatment for Cats, over 1.5 lbs. This treatment kills adult fleas, flea eggs, flea larvae, chewing lice, and ticks. It’s for...
This once a month use treatment is formulated as an effective solution to not only kill fleas but also prevent recurring outbreaks. This is not a treatment to be used on furnishings or other surfaces. This is only for use on your pet's skin.
- Easy, once a month application
- Waterproof formula will still be effective after baths
- Cannot be used on pets younger than eight weeks
- Some contraindications for sensitive cats
Advantage II Once a Month Cat Topical Flea Treatment
Advantage II flea treatment is safe for cats & kittens eight weeks and older
Advantage II flea medicine for cats effectively kills fleas on cats within 12 hours
Waterproof formula remains effective...
This fast-acting topical solution will kill fleas on contact, work quickly to eliminate fleas on your pet, and prevent further infestation. Choose the solution that matches your pet's weight for effective, safe coverage that will last 30 days.
- One-time application
- Kills fleas on contact for fast results
- Odorless, waterproof formula
- The medicated formula can cause side effects in some cats
- Must monitor pet to ensure they do not ingest the solution while grooming themselves
Wondercide Cedarwood Flea & Tick Spray for Pets
Wondercide Cedarwood Scent Home, Dog & Cat Flea & Tick Spray helps to protect your furbaby from fleas, ticks and mosquitoes, all without harsh chemicals. While traditional products put chemicals in...
If you are looking for an all-natural solution to your cat's flea problems, look no further than Wondercide. This plant-based flea spray solution can be safely used on your cats, yourself, your home, and furnishings.
- A safe, natural solution for pets and humans
- Kills fleas quickly on contact
- Can be used on young pets including kittens
- Requires repeat applications every 2-3 days
- Can be expensive for use on multiple pets or severe infestations
Seresto Flea & Tick Collar for Cats
Provides 8-months of continuous flea and tick prevention
Seresto flea and tick collar for cats works through contact, so fleas and ticks do not have to bite your cat to die
Vet-recommended flea and...
This appealing flea collar option offers your cat extended flea protection. It boasts up to eight months of coverage, has no hassle of application, just pop on the collar and see results within 24 hours. Best for households without children as touching the collar can be harmful to humans.
- Cost-effective, money saving option
- Easy to use and no monthly reminders
- Powerful ingredients kill fleas on contact
- Better cats that do not crave human contact, as the collar can pose a risk to your health
- Larger cats may still experience flea troubles in extremities farther from the collar
Advantage Flea Treatment Spray for Cats
Help protect your favorite feline and your home from parasitic pests with Advantage Flea & Tick Treatment Spray for Cats. Designed to aid in the control of flea bite dermatitis, this EPA-regulated ...
This all-purpose cat flea spray is effective to use on your cat's skin as well as certain surfaces within your home. This treatment touts a powerful formula which can last for up to 100 days to kill fleas, eggs, and larvae.
- Easy to use and apply
- Can be reapplied every 7 days if needed
- Uses insecticides that can pose harm if ingested or touch membranes of cats and humans
- Cannot be used in cats under 7 months of age
Capstar Flea Tablets for Cats
One oral tablet starts killing fleas within 30 minutes of administration
Tackle flea infestations fast – give Capstar and watch dead fleas fall off your pet
The convenience of an oral tablet availa...
Unlike the topical solutions for a cat’s fleas, this product is an oral medication used to control fleas. This tablet claims to kill adult fleas within 30 minutes of being ingested and can be used daily as needed until fleas are completely eliminated.
- No greasy application or residue on pet fur
- Convenient oral method is quick and easy to use
- Does not kill flea eggs or larvae
- Ineffective if your cat is not willing to ingest it
Adams Plus Flea & Tick Spray for Cats & Dogs
Quick relief from biting fleas
Kills adult fleas, flea eggs, flea larvae, ticks and repels mosquitoes
Contains an insect growh regulator (IGR) to kill and prevent flea development for up to 2 month...
This low-cost flea spray is for use on your cat to kill fleas throughout their life cycle. It can last for up to two months from date of application.
- Low-cost alternative to better-known brands
- Kills all stages of fleas
- Appealing and subtle scent
- May not be effective in more extensive flea infestations
- Cannot be used on home surfaces
NaturVet Herbal Flea Powder for Pets
Herbal Flea Plus Essential Oils Powder helps repel fleas on your dog or cat while leaving your pet with a fresh and pleasant fragrance.
The unique combination of Thyme, Lemongrass, and Rosemary Oil...
The NaturVet flea powder is made with all-natural ingredients to kill fleas on pets and pet bedding. This powder can be easily applied to your pet and used in combination with other flea management products safely.
- Pleasant smell
- Easy to use and apply
- Not best for serious flea problems
- Requires frequent application
Cheristin Flea Treatment for Cats
Get rid of those pesky fleas with the Cheristin Flea Treatment Topical For Cats. The perfect solution for itchy kitties, this topical treatment is specially formulated just for felines....
The Cheristin topical solution works to kill fleas quickly and effectively on even the youngest of cats. It uses a low volume dosage of medication to effectively target fleas, eggs, and larvae living under your cat's fur. It is specifically formulated for cats.
- Works quickly
- Can be used on kittens aged 8 weeks and up
- Can cause side effects in some cats
Vet's Best Flea & Tick Wipes for Cats & Dogs
VET'S BEST FLEA AND TICK WIPES FOR DOGS & CATS kills fleas, flea eggs, and ticks by contact, without harsh chemicals. Repels mosquitoes, too!
NATURAL FORMULA - Plant-based ingredients, including ce...
This is a plant-based wipe that can be used to kill fleas on contact on your cat's fur with an easy application. These wipes use all natural ingredients to kill fleas throughout their lifecycle and can be used on some surfaces.
- Convenient, easy mode of application
- Subtle scent on pets
- May not be effective as a standalone solution
- Can cause skin reactions and irritation in some pets
What Type of Cat Flea Treatment Works Best?
Cat flea treatments are available in options such as oral medications, topical solutions, powders, sprays, and collars. Determining the best and most effective flea treatment option for your cat can take some trial and error. What works best for one feline may not be an ideal solution for another.
Are Cat Flea Treatments Safe to Use on Your Cat?
Your cat's health and safety are an important consideration in your choice of flea treatments. First and foremost, you must always ensure that you are purchasing a product that is formulated specifically for use on cats. Do not use dog flea treatment options on your cat. If a product is formulated for both types of pets and it is clear on the packaging as safe for cats, then it is acceptable; otherwise, do not use dog flea products on your feline. Also, take note of any weight or age restrictions of a flea treatment before using it on your pet.
Cat flea treatments are made with the safety of your pet in mind. However, there are some situations where your cat may have a reaction to the product used. It is recommended that you monitor your pet after applying flea treatment to ensure that they do not attempt to lick the product or suffer from any adverse side effects.
If at any point, there is any indication that your pet is feeling unwell due to the flea treatment, stop use immediately, and contact your veterinarian.
The Most Effective Cat Flea Treatment Strategy
Tackling a flea problem can be tedious and require a combination of efforts to completely eliminate the problem. Oftentimes, one product alone may not be sufficient to deal with a serious infestation that has spread within your home and furnishings. You must treat your pet and your home to effectively keep the fleas at bay and controlled.
When choosing solutions for your home, choose a flea spray that is also safe for your pet and/or children if present in the home. Natural flea sprays and solutions can often be used safely on your furnishings as well as your pet. Topical medicated solutions are made with strong insecticides but require less frequent application and are most effective at killing fleas throughout all of their stages. Collars if tolerated by your cat can also be a safe, cost-effective solution lasting several months at a time.
What to Look For in Cat Flea Treatment Options?
As you browse the many available cat flea treatment options, choose one that is appropriate and safe to use on your pet and for your family. If at any point your pet shows signs of discomfort or skin irritation from any flea treatment product, stop its use, and seek guidance from your veterinarian to find a safer and better alternative.
When choosing a cat flea treatment for your pet, consider the level of flea problem that you are experiencing to find the right combination of products that will keep your pet comfortable while eliminating not only the fleas on your pet and home surfaces but also the root of the infestation and problem, including eggs and larvae.
The responses below are not provided, commissioned, reviewed, approved, or otherwise endorsed by any financial entity or advertiser. It is not the advertiser’s responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.